Leland Clipperton

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Is the World Ending?

If you've been watching or listening to the news lately, it's hard to avoid hearing about the catastrophic occurrences right now around the world...

What thoughts come to your mind????





I reminds me somewhat of how I felt when I heard about the first plane hitting the World Trade Centre. I was driving my son to school and listening to the radio... by the time I got home the second had hit and I was mesmerized and in shock, spending the day glued to the TV... indelibly etched into my little brain!

But I remember sitting in my classroom in grade five when the announcement came over the loudspeaker that President Kennedy had been assassinated! How could a nine year old even know about that stuff? and yet I still remember being struck with a powerful sense of grief and fear. I remember hearing and talking about how he had saved the world from the possible destruction from the Bay of Pigs conflict... we had to hide out under the stairs with our meager food provisions in case of nuclear attack...

and I remember (a little more recently) when Princess Diana was married (July 29, 1981) at her fairytale wedding as seen by 750 million people (me included) followed by the sadness and grief when she died August 31, 1997. (again, both times I was glued to the TV afraid to miss anything).

I seem to be gripped by a couple thoughts when these events occur... where is my family? I want to be with them! I want to be with those I feel connected to and have a loving experience with.

It makes me wonder... if the world really was going to end next week (and each of our individual worlds will end at some point), what would you want to do? What is important to you? Does it shift your priorities at all? How long would you wait to do what you wanted to do?

Why should we wait? Maybe we should consider what our real priorities are? Who is really important in our lives? How do we really want to be spending our time? and with whom?

Why do you get up in the morning?

Until later,
Leland

Leland@CounsellingandMediation.com
http://www.counsellingandmediation.com/
705 443 8290
905 510 9117

No comments:

Post a Comment